Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Yes I Decided to Join




I was blog surfing and found NaBlopomo on The Cooking Corner's blog. It looks interesting and maybe will bring some more traffic to my blogs, so here I go .....I love to post so it shouldn''t be too hard.

I think I will work on holiday tradional recipes....what different places eat, why, history, funny quirks, stories and whatever suits me for the daily blogging...so here we go...
Oh my I love Sweet potatoes and I found this one to be perfect:

This recipe serves: 4
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes

Ingredients
3 large sweet potatoes (or yams)
4 tablespoons pecans, toasted
1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
1 tablespoon brown sugar
freshly ground cinnamon, to taste

Cooking Instructions
1. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them in half. Place them in a pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender when pricked with a fork, about 30 minutes depending on the size of the potatoes. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, toast the pecans in a nonstick skillet for 1-2 minutes or in a toaster oven and set aside.
3. Mash the potatoes, butter and brown sugar with a potato masher or fork, or use a food mill.
4. Adjust the cinnamon to taste.
5. Transfer to a serving dish and top with the toasted pecans.

Now what about the Sweet Potato?

I mean where does it come from? And do you care? Well I do...so I did a little research amd found out that it is botanically known as Ipomoea batatas, are grown on a root of a vine and comes from the morning glory family. It is native to the New World tropics and dates back to 750 B.C. in Peruvian records. Columbus brought the sweet potato to the New World from the island of Saint Thomas.

Sweet potatoes are often called yams and vise versus but they are two different vegetables. Which I will go into more tomorrow.... Enjoy the recipe....

No comments: